Security software for personal PC
I’ve been meaning to create a quick list of personal PC security software for some time, but haven’t gotten around to it. well…
- Some antivirus… Windows defender is okay, but not great.
- Immunet: this “cloud based antivirus” is the free version of Cisco/Sourcefire AMP for Endpoints and will provide you with access to TALOS intelligence on file integrity. [note that immunet is sourcefire… sourcefire is TALOS… TALOS is Cisco… Cisco is in bed with the US Government.]
- EMET: Yes. This probably won’t cause too much trouble.
- Glasswire: Easy to use network awareness.
- Sysmon: Well, if you’re in the position of “supporting” your family/friend’s PCs, then you might want to be wise to malware infections. You can get crafty here.
- Papertrail/LogEntries/SumoLogic/Loggly with nxlog: if you want to get real crazy, real quick, configure cloud-based event logging with alerting, as long as you can provide them with a work Email address. Papertrail supports alerting via Email and integration into other platforms (like librato, slack, zapier, stathat, pagerduty… anything that supports webhooks (which excludes IFTTT)) for free out-of-the-box.
That’s it for now. I guess I’ll expand when I come across other things.