Redmine by Email Part 2: Sending the updates
This is part 2 of the bahbahbagahgaghhhhh ahhhh… Sorry.
The redmine docs on this whole Email to redmine thing are less than stellar.
Creating an issue:
To create a new issue, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following contents. I have chosen to list the contents in the visible order they are listed on an Issue page within Redmine web UI itself so that you can better understand how they correlate.
- Project: short name of project! (this needs to be provided to you, ‘desktopissues’ for instance)
- Tracker: Bug/Feature/Support [does not work in 1.3.1!]
- Subject: the subject of the Email is the subject of the new issue.
- Description: Email body, excludes any of these parameters. Do not include the string Description:
- Status: New, Assigned, Resolved, Feedback, Closed, Rejected [one of these strings]
- Assignee: The full name of the person who will be assigned the task.
- Start date: in the form of YYYY-MM-DD (or whatever date format you have in your setup)
- Due date: in the form of YYYY-MM-DD
An example would be to send an email with the subject “Learn how to send issues to Redmine via Email” with the body as (no quotes):
Project: desktopissues Status: Assigned Assignee: Matt Brown Due date: 2012-05-02 I will learn this by the second of May. Yes I will.
Some more info:
- You can attach files max size in kibi-bytes. What the hell is a kibi-bytes? Oh… fancy.
- You can CC or To anyone you wish to assign watcher-hood (redmine resolves these users by their Email address of course). It’s noted on the wiki that this can only be done when the issue is created.
- You can not create a new Project by Email.
Updating an issue:
To update/add a note to an existing issue, make sure the contains the issue in the subject like “[#1394]” to update issue number 1394. You do not need to write anything else in the subject to specify the issue you wish to update. You can also reply to the updated emails (so .*\#1394.* get it?). Note that your entire Email content is contained in the note (including anything you’re responding too); so maybe hit reply, then delete the entire contents of your Email before responding.
The form of the Email is the same as it is to create a new issue as above. including the fields.
Some values that are available in the GUI that aren’t available to be updated via Email (as of 1.3.1) are:
- % Done
- Parent task
- Estimate time